Tracing shapes worksheets are useful tools that can help children to learn how to draw, recognize and memorize different shapes. These worksheets are typically made with a series of shapes with a mono or different-colored outline in a bold line which is easy to follow for tracing. Children are instructed to trace the shape using a pencil (this is a preferable option because in case they mess up, they can erase and redo for perfection) or pen.
Tracing lines and shapes is a useful activity that can help your little ones to develop their fine motor skills and improve hand-eye coordination. With repetitive practice, they will gain a fair understanding of geometric shapes, how to remember them and their properties.
In this 15+ Tracing Shapes worksheets compilation, we have included different styles, including interactive exercises that ask the child to recognize the shape name, color the shape, count the number of sides or corners it has and many more.
You can also instruct your kids to use their imagination to draw any element into the shape to give them the liberty to think and use their thinking power as well.
Benefits of tracing shapes:
Tracing shapes can play crucial role developing some essential skill for children’s including:
- Improving hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills: When you trace something, it silently gets incorporated with your action, and you build hand-eye coordination. Needless to say, this activity also helps in developing fine motor skills as well.
- Help children recognize different shapes: Tracing shapes is a good practice that can help children to memorize different shapes’ names and they can easily identify them based on their characteristics (Angels or the number of sides or corners that particular shape has). You can also guide them while tracing and give them a hint on how to identify shapes based on their characteristics.
- Increasing problem-solving skills along with spatial awareness: This is another critical benefit tracing shape offers. While practicing tracing shapes, children can easily grow their awareness and develop spatial awareness and problem-solving skills. They can identify spatial relationships and apply that skill in other filed or even in real-life situations.
Tracing lines can be a fun activity for kindergarten and preschool kids. This activity helps children develop important skills which they can actually use in a real-world situation as well.
How to use tracing shapes worksheets?
These worksheets are easy-to-use printables, but you can give some specific instructions to make the activity more engaging and interesting. Here are a couple of ideas for using tracing shapes worksheets:
- Instruct your little one to start with simple shapes and gradually move to relatively harder or more difficult shapes.
- Do not forget to praise children for their efforts.
- There is another important thing you should keep in mind and that is to teach children to use the correct writing grip while tracing shapes.
- Encourage them to draw related elements inside or beside the shapes for fun.
- Use tracing shapes worksheets as part of a broader learning program.